Family Storyteller at Brooklands Museum-posted 09.01.2020
Brooklands Museum’s mission is ‘to preserve and interpret the heritage of Brooklands, to use that heritage to inspire and educate and to provide a world-class visitor attraction accessible to all.’ The birthplace of British motor sport and aviation, and home of Concorde, Brooklands comprises an unparalleled collection of Vickers and Hawker aircraft, and Brooklands racing cars and motorcycles all displayed in and around the historic buildings on the site where many were originally built or maintained. Brooklands is unique and opens every day with the support of an award-winning team of volunteers.
- Interpret the site and its history for family groups by telling stories about the site and/or key historical figures
- Set up the workshop by preparing props, room etc.
- Welcome families and help support them with directions/orientation etc.
- Provide 15-20-minute storytelling session or sessions in character
- To maintaining good working relationships with staff and other volunteers
- To comply with the Brooklands Health and Safety Policy and always operate with a regard for good environmental practices.
Essential Skills and attributes:
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Friendly to families and young visitors
- Enthusiasm to learn about Brooklands Museum and develop new skills
- A desire to inspire visitors about the history of the site in a fun way
- Induction, training and support
- Opportunity to develop new skills and meet new people
- The knowledge you are making a significant difference to Brooklands Museum
- Free entrance to the Museum with accompany guests at any time
- 20% discount in the Museum Shop and Sunbeam Cafe
This position is of a voluntary nature and requires availability during school holidays and some weekend work during special events. Ideally you should be able to commit to an ongoing weekly/monthly agreement.
All these arrangements are binding in honour only and not intended
to be legally binding.
Please click on the Sign Up button to apply or to receive further details.
Brooklands is the birthplace of motorsport & aviation. Here in 1907 the world's first purpose-built motor racing circuit was constructed. Here in 1908 A.V. Roe completed one of the first flights in the UK. Before and during the Great War famous names in aviation started here and during World War Two the site manufactured mainly Wellington Bombers. After the War Vickers produced many famous airliners such as the VC10 was heavily involved in the design & manufacture of Concorde.
Now Brooklands Museum is one of the foremost visitor attractions in Surrey with superb collections of cars and aircraft, a 4D Theatre & Concorde Experience plus much more. This is your chance to be a part of our heritage by becoming a volunteer and using your enthusiasm to bring the story of Brooklands to life.