Environmental Volunteer - Swingbridge
Swingbridge2 is a 30’ working tugboat which is used as a base for environmental work on or near Surrey’s waterways - the River Wey, Basingstoke Canal and the River Thames.
This role provides an opportunity to gain recognised qualifications in a variety of environmental topics whilst helping to develop general life skills.
Environmental Volunteers report to the Environmental Trainer and are supported in their training and development by ‘Training Support Volunteers’.
Whilst volunteering, Environmental Volunteers undertake accredited training in topics related to the work being carried out at the time, with a focus on health and safety whilst working on the waterways. Individual development needs are identified, and opportunities are made available as appropriate.
The boat is crewed by experienced boat handlers who manage this environment safely.
We are looking for Environmental Volunteers, who may be from disadvantaged backgrounds, with poor education, learning difficulties, homelessness, addiction being an offender or ex-offender, or long-term unemployed. Young people (14-19) from the Trust's own STEPS programmes also benefit from training on Swingrbridge2. All have the potential to progress and develop their skills, thereby improving their life chances.
Personal attributes required
- Willingness to undertake environmental work
- Willingness to work as part of a team
- Willingness to work with people with limited literacy skills and/or behavioural issues,
- A good degree of personal mobility is essential for getting on and off and moving around the boat safely, and for doing the physical work.
- Ability to make own way to the boat with guidance
- Environmental and boating skills are not required as these will be provided if needed.
The placement is offered for one day per week and runs between 10.00 and 16.00. The day will depend on individual ability and availablility of places.
Two references will be required, the trust will also make a’ Disclosure and Barring Service’ check (formerly known as CRB).
Travel expenses may be claimed
Please contact us by clicking on the Application button & complete the online form.