Front Desk Southern Interior Rotary Lodge -Kelowna
Front Desk – Southern Interior Lodge
The Southern Interior Rotary Lodge is a lodging facility for people in town receiving cancer treatments. Our volunteers help us by running the front desk, answering phones, giving tours and helping the Lodge guests feel at home. If you would like to join our team and help us provide a home-away-from-home experience for our guests we’d love to hear from you.
Assist and support lodge residents, guests and staff through a variety of activities involving reception, tours, craft sales, nearby services such as shopping, bus routes, and other local area services.
The Lodge Volunteer is a generalist trained to assist in all facets of lodge operations.
- Promotes a social and caring atmosphere in the lodge, focusing attention and time on lodge residents
- Greets & provides tours for lodge residents, guests and visitors.
- Answers lodge phone, transfers calls, takes & relays messages
- Assists residents & guests with using the lodge shuttle
- Greets and assists volunteer drivers with finding their passengers
- Provides directions to treatment centers, public transportation, shopping etc
- Sets up and clears tea/coffee service, assisting residents as required
- Assists residents and visitors with selecting wigs and with tidying wig room
- Assists with craft sales, including displaying crafts and recording sales
- Does general tidying of common areas, including lounges and cafeteria
- Assists with general office duties as requested
- Promotes lodge & CCS activities, & support services
- Other duties as assigned and under the direction of the lodge nurse
LINK TO MISSION:
- Provides support to people during their cancer journey & to lodge staff
- Raises awareness & profile of CCS and in so doing supports fund raising
- Play an integral role by engaging the public in the mission, vision, and values of the Canadian Cancer Society
- Have a positive impact on the quality and enhancement of life for people affected by cancer
- Share in the hope with others while inviting them to join in the fight against cancer
- Joining a team of enthusiastic and interesting people who share your passion for eradicating cancer and supporting people effected by cancer
- Working for a respected organization
- Courtesy parking and discounted meals
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Friendly and outgoing. Comfortable working with a wide variety of people
- Good communication skills with clear voice and polite telephone manner; Patient and outgoing.
- Increase knowledge of: Canadian Cancer Society; BC Cancer Agency and community hospitals & clinics
- Increase knowledge of cancer prevention, diagnosis, treatment & support services
- Opportunity to further develop communication & organizational skills
TRAINING & SUPPORT
- Canadian Cancer Society Volunteer Orientation and Volunteer Handbook – plus Lodge specific orientation
- Lodge staff support on every shift
- Role specific training, including regular computer skills and procedures updates
4 hours/week (ideally once per week) Term: 1 year (negotiable)
- Responsible for notifying volunteer coordinator or lodge nurse of any time off required including vacation and sick time with reasonable notice so that a replacement can be found