Puppy Raising Volunteers
Puppy Raising Volunteers
Do you love puppies?
Are you looking for a rewarding volunteer experience?
Can you open up your home and heart to a puppy as they train for their life-changing career?
Volunteer as a Puppy Raiser, helping nurture our next generation of Guide Dogs, Autism Assistance Dogs, Facility Dogs and Therapy Dogs!
As a Puppy Raiser, you will welcome a gorgeous puppy into your life and daily routines, caring for them and introducing them to a range of new experiences and environments as they start training for a life of helping people navigate their world.
Our puppies begin training from 8-10 weeks of age, and can spend up to 12 months, or more, in the care of their new family (please note: to further a puppy’s training, they may be moved to other raisers in different environments to aid in their development).
As a volunteer Puppy Raiser, all costs will be covered (including food, bedding, toys and vet visits), and you’ll be guided every step of the way by our Puppy Raising Advisors. Our Puppy Raising Advisors provide support and answer any questions you may have on the day-to-day handling of your puppy.
Your advisor will also personally help you with the puppy’s ongoing training program. Our goal is to ensure each puppy develops into a well-socialised, confident and focused dog before they embark on their formal Guide Dog training.
We are looking for volunteers in the local community who:
- Have a full driver’s licence and 24/7 access to a vehicle
- Can perform repetitive physical tasks such as bending, kneeling and handling a dog that could grow to be in excess of 30kg
- Are willing to work with other people to help develop the puppy’s skills
- Can accommodate the puppy’s training and socialisation into their daily routine, including regular training sessions at different locations around Adelaide during business hours
- Will ensure the puppy is not left alone for more than 2-4 hours at a time. Where necessary, this may mean developing flexible work arrangements so the puppy can attend your workplace
If you’d like to help our beautiful puppies start their journey on becoming incredible Guide Dogs, Autism Assistance Dogs, Facility Dogs and Therapy Dogs, please email an expression of interest to our HR Department firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the expression of interest form on our website here.
A police clearance will be required for successful applicants.