Archive Assistant will have knowledge and experience with genealogy procedures and practices; should have excellent customer services skills; and may have contact with the general public in group and individual settings. Hours will vary.
- Assist staff with collection maintenance including shelving and filing materials.
- Perform searches and research.
- Data entry and photocopying.
- Use and explain genealogy guides, databases and library resources to assist customers with genealogy related questions and inquires.
- Assist with creating tip sheets and/or finding aids for customers to use while studying and researching genealogy.
- Provide assistance and guidance to customers inquiring about genealogy research tools and databases.
- Assist with the planning and presentation of programs and events for all ages, including groups to encourage interest in genealogy and genealogy research.
- Replenish and restock promotional products used to help bring awareness to the genealogy collection, resources, services, programs, events and classes.
- Demonstrate the use of the microfilm machines and book copier, and instruct customers in the use of the Library Catalog, the Internet and electronic databases.
- Assist with potential projects including helping to process incoming items, and donations.
- Share awareness of condition of materials in need of attention.
- Special projects on demand.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of genealogy resources and research routines.
- Customer service.
- Comfort interacting with public library customers of all ages and with staff.
- Computer literacy.
- Attention to fine detail.
- Written verbal and communication skills.
- Ability to work alone.
- Physical ability to perform volunteer duties.
- Ability to operate microfilm machines, and other library equipment.
- Ability to use the library catalog, the internet and electronic databases.
- Ideally able to devote at least 2 hours a week. Hours as available and scheduled with managers.