Short Team Dog foster carer
Volunteer Dog Foster Carer for our Suffolk centre
Sick, injured and homeless pets have relied on Blue Cross for help since 1897. Each year, thousands of dogs, cats, small pets and horses turn to the charity’s animal hospitals, clinics and rehoming services for treatment and support. Our shops help to raise vital income for our charity and all profits go to helping more pets in need.
Our Volunteer Dog Foster Carers provide support and a peaceful, calming setting for dogs away from the busy Rehoming Centre.
We would love you to join us and help us
help more pets in need
You’ll learn new skills and gain valuable practical
experience for your CV.
Fostering is a flexible process, but you will need to commit to a long enough period for dogs and puppies to settle in a new environment.
The role of a Dog Foster Carer
- Caring for Blue Cross dogs and puppies in your own home until they can be rehomed
- Supporting dogs who might be struggling to cope with kennel life or may be recuperating from operations
- Providing all the care dogs need – feeding, exercising, cleaning, socialising, giving medication and grooming
- Collecting or dropping your animal back to the Centre during opening hours
- Keeping accurate records
- Attending vet visits when requested
Criteria required for the role of Dog Foster Carer
You will need:
- Previous experience of handling and caring for dogs and puppies
- You need to live within 30 minutes from our Rehoming Centre
- You will need your own car to transport foster animals to and from the Centre or Vet
- A quiet, reasonable size garden
- Be home for most of the day to monitor your foster dogs regularly
- The use of video technology such as Teams or Zoom to communicate with the Centre when needed
- Willingness to learn and follow Blue Cross procedures
- Minimum age requirement: 18 years
- You’ll be helping dogs to have happy, healthy lives
- You’ll be able to enjoy caring for a dog without a long term commitment
- You’ll gain practical skills, experience and a training programme
- You’ll develop skills and enhance your CV
- You’ll join a great team of like-minded people
- You’ll be provided with all the equipment needed and costs covered
We would love you to join us and help us help more pets in need. If you have any questions then you can email us on email@example.com or give us a call on 0300 777 1980.
We would love to hear from you.