Small Animal Foster Carer
Small Animal Foster Carer Devon Rehoming, Advice and Behaviour Unit
Sick, injured and homeless pets have relied on Blue Cross for help since 1897. Each year, thousands of dogs, cats, small pets and horses turn to the charity’s animal hospitals, clinics and rehoming services for treatment and support. Our pet foster carers provide short term care to our pets whilst we find them their forever homes.
Our Volunteer Small Animal Foster Carers provide support and a peaceful, calming setting for our small animals whilst we look for new homes for them. This could be Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Rats, Gerbils, Hamster, Mice, Degu, Chinchilla’s, we are open to having a chat about you with regards to which species you are able to help with.
We would love you to join us and help us
help more pets in need
You’ll learn new skills and gain valuable practical
experience for your CV.
Fostering is a flexible process, but you will need to commit to a long enough period for the small animals to settle in a new environment.
The role of a Small Animal Foster Carer
- Caring for Blue Cross small animals in your own home until they can be rehomed
- Providing all the care they need – feeding, exercising, cleaning, socialising, giving medication and grooming
- Collecting or dropping your animal back to the unit during opening hours
- Take them to veterinary appointments
- Keeping accurate records
- Providing photographs, videos and information to help with rehoming your foster pet
To be a Small Pet Foster Carer
You will need:
- Previous experience of handling and caring for smalls or a willingness to learn
- You need to live within 45 minutes from our unit (Pynes Hill, Exeter, EX5 2JL)
- You will need your own car to transport foster animals to and from the centre or vet
- A quiet, safe spare room away from other animals or
- A secure garden with space for accommodation for outdoor rabbits
- Willingness to learn and follow Blue Cross procedures
- Minimum age requirement: 18 years
- You’ll be helping small animals to have happy, healthy lives
- You’ll be able to enjoy caring for a rabbit without a long-term commitment
- You’ll gain practical skill and experience
- You’ll develop skills and enhance your CV
- You’ll join a great team of like-minded people
- You’ll be provided with all the equipment needed and costs covered
We would love you to join us and help us help more pets in need. If you have any questions then you can email us on email@example.com or give us a call on 0300 777 1953.
We would love to hear from you.