Doggie Bed and Breakfast
Doggie Bed & Breakfast
Would you like a pet but you are out at work all day? Do you have time in the evenings to give a dog a break from the kennels? Blue Cross is looking for committed volunteers who can offer evening foster care to our dogs in their own home.
The role does involve collecting and returning the dogs, and for some dogs a minimum commitment to ensure their wellbeing.
What you will be doing:
- Caring for a Blue Cross dog in your home in the evenings and/or weekends
- Collecting the dog in the evening and returning them the next morning
- You will be providing all the care they need – feeding, exercising, socialising, giving medication and grooming
- Reporting back your observations of the dog in your home, to assist behavioural assessment
What we are looking for:
- Experience of handling and caring for dogs and/or puppies
- You need to live within 30 minutes of the centre and have use of suitable transport
- A garden is beneficial
- Preferably no other pets
- Willingness to learn and follow Blue Cross procedures
Competent, flexible and self-motivated
Benefits to you:
- You’ll be helping pets to have happy, healthy lives
- Gain practical skills and experience
- Stay active and healthy
- Develop skills and enhance your CV for a career in animal welfare
- Join a great team of like-minded people
- Knowledge that you are feeding back valuable observations to help the dog find a permanent home
Time commitment: Evenings – please note, dogs can be returned to the centre from around 8:30am/9am and need to be collected by 5pm. Weekends also available.