Dog Foster Carer
Dog Foster Carer (at Bromsgrove)
Would you like a pet but are not in a position to give long term commitment? Do you have the time to devote to cheering up an unhappy dog or giving it some time to chill out in a peaceful setting away from the busy Rehoming Centre? Blue Cross is looking for committed people who can offer short term care to needy dogs or puppies in their own homes.
What you will be doing:
- Caring for Blue Cross dogs or puppies in your own home until they can be rehomed.
- Pets might be recuperating from operations, too young to rehome or cannot cope with kennel life.
- You may also offer to foster pregnant females or mums and litters.
- You will be providing all the care they need – feeding, exercising, cleaning, socialising, giving medication and grooming.
- Keep accurate records of health, behaviour and welfare of your foster dog.
What we are looking for:
- Experience of handling and caring for dogs including challenging behaviour (training will be provided).
- You need to live within 45 minutes of the Bromsgrove Centre
- You'll a full current driving licence and have your own suitable vehicle to use.
- Be willing to use an out-of-hours vet service at Smethwick and be located within a reasonable distance to this site.
- A garden is beneficial for dogs.
- A quieter home is beneficial to keep you foster dog relaxed and reduce anxiety.
- Willingness to learn and follow Blue Cross procedures.
- Home for all or part of the day - fostering is very flexible with daytime-only options or for just one night only.
- Competent, flexible and self-motivated.
- Minimum age requirement: 18 years.
Benefits to you:
- You’ll be helping pets to have happy, healthy lives.
- Enjoy all the joys of pet ownership without long term commitment and cost.
- Gain practical skills, experience and a training programme.
- Develop skills and enhance your CV.
- Join a great team of like-minded people.
- Arrangements will be made for holidays.
- All equipment provided and costs covered.
- Training and on-line training.
- You’ll be at home during fostering to keep a close eye on your Blue Cross dog or puppy.
- Time commitment can be varied to suit your availability from just a day or a night up to a few days to a few weeks.
- If you work full-time, time commitment can be flexible with fostering available at a weekend with pick up and drop off between 8.30am and 5pm (4pm on Sundays).
- You will need to be able to come up to the Centre during opening hours for your Blue Cross pet to receive appropriate medical attention and check-ups.
This opportunity is home-based and available via Bromsgrove Rehoming Centre, Wildmoor Lane, Catshill, Bromsgrove, Worcs B61 0RJ.
You will be required to complete appropriate units of our Blue Cross Rehoming Training Programme.