Volunteer Dog Foster Carer Devon Rehoming, Advice and Behaviour Unit
Sick, injured and homeless pets have relied on Blue Cross for help since 1897. Each year, thousands of dogs, cats, small pets and horses turn to the charity’s animal hospitals, clinics and rehoming services for treatment and support. Our shops help to raise vital income for our charity and all profits go to helping more pets in need.
Our Volunteer Dog Foster Carers provide essential support and a peaceful, calming setting for dogs until we can match then to a new home.
We would love you to join us and help us
help more pets in need
You’ll learn new skills and gain valuable practical
experience for your CV.
Fostering is a flexible process, but you will need to commit to a long enough period for dogs and puppies to settle in a new environment.
The role of a Dog Foster Carer
- Caring for Blue Cross dogs and puppies in your own home until they can be rehomed
- Providing all the care dogs need – feeding, exercising, cleaning, socialising, giving medication and grooming
- Collecting or dropping your animal back to the unit during opening hours
- Keeping accurate records
- Attending vet visits when requested
Criteria required for the role of Dog Foster Carer
You will need:
- Previous experience of handling and caring for dogs and puppies
- You need to live within 45 minutes from our Rehoming Unit in Pynes Hill, Exeter, EX2 5JL
- You will need your own car to transport foster animals to and from the unit or Vet
- A quiet, reasonable size secure garden
- Be home for a good proportion of the day to monitor your foster dogs regularly
- The use of video technology such as Teams or Zoom to communicate with the Centre when needed
- Willingness to learn and follow Blue Cross procedures
- Minimum age requirement: 18 years
- Please note due to the needs of the dogs we are helping at present we are specifically looking for foster homes with no other dogs or cats, or children
- You’ll be helping dogs to have happy, healthy lives
- You’ll be able to enjoy caring for a dog without a long term commitment
- You’ll gain practical skills, experience and a training programme
- You’ll develop skills and enhance your CV
- You’ll join a great team of like-minded people
- You’ll be provided with all the equipment needed and costs covered
We would love you to join us and help us help more pets in need. If you have any questions then you can email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call on 0300 777 1593
We would love to hear from you.