SpeakWell ESL Program Facilitator
The SpeakWell ESL English Conversation Program supports new immigrants, refugees, and other ESL learners in sharpening their English-speaking and comprehension skills. The Facilitator leads conversations around a given topic, presented through established lesson plans and assists participants with pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary development, and listening skills.
- Create a friendly, safe, enjoyable atmosphere and encourage people to discuss given topics.
- Assist individuals in conversation by providing feedback and guidance on pronunciation and vocabulary as well as directly teach pronunciation and vocabulary to small groups of participants.
- Answer questions and support participants' learning of conversational English.
- 19+ years
- Friendly, outgoing, and enthusiastic.
- Interested in helping new immigrants, refugees and other ESL learners develop speaking skills to assist them to become active members of our community.
- Ability to assist learners with pronunciation, vocabulary development as well as some basic grammar points.
- Able to speak English fluently.
- Canadian Language Benchmarks – Stage III - Speaking – Benchmark 12 see Profile of Ability p. 70
- Teaching English as a Second Language training and teaching experience an asset.
- Able to speak and understand additional languages is an asset.
- Willing to meet for an informal interview
- Willing to complete a Police Information Check
Orientation and Training:
- Volunteer Application (Liability Waiver, Code of Conduct, Policies for Volunteers and Contractors)
- Child Protection/Vulnerable Persons Training
- Site and Role Orientation
Commitment and schedule: One weekly shift on Saturday afternoons between 1:00 - 3:30pm. Program runs 1:30 - 3:00pm, with a half hour of prep and clean up on either side. A 1-year commitment is ideal; a minimum commitment of 6 months is expected.
Working Conditions: Indoor. Required sitting, standing, and moving around the room. Requires lifting up to 20lbs. Multipurpose room setting. Supervised.
Why a Conversation program? To:
- Increase participant’s comfort and confidence speaking English through interaction with patient, friendly facilitators and other group members within a relaxed, informal environment.
- Provide an inclusive environment where participant increase their verbal English fluency and comprehension, and enhance their English pronunciation, vocabulary, and grammar skills.
- Provide a venue where immigrants deepen their relationship with the Saanich region by connecting with other community members, participating in community activities offered through Saanich’s Recreation centers, and hopefully meld so firmly with our community they willingly participate in community decision-making bodies such as regional boards.
- Promote cross-cultural understanding through activities that generate cross-cultural learning.
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyImpactPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account