Prairie Paws Adoption Center has limited volunteer opportunities available for corporate and other groups seeking special projects to benefit the organization.
For safety reasons, group volunteers do not interact directly with or handle shelter animals. Working with the shelter pets requires specialized training and is not available for group volunteer initiatives. We have a dedicated team of shelter volunteers that work with the pets. If you would like to become a member of the volunteer program, please apply as an individual and not under the umbrella of a group. However, everything you do makes a difference at the shelter and ultimately helps us save more lives!
Three ways to help as a group:
- Hold an offsite, third-party fundraiser or donation drive to benefit shelter animals. Visit the Wish List for a list of supplies that we currently need. For details on how to organize and conduct a successful fundraising event, visit the third-party fundraising page.
- Host a lemonade stand fundraiser right outside Prairie Paws on a Saturday afternoon.
- Assist with cleaning or maintenance: Deep cleaning areas of the shelter, including washing windows; Organizing storage shed; Washing dishes; Assembling projects.
- Please note cleaning/ maintenance projects for groups are very limited. We prefer groups to hold donation drives or fundraisers.
For cleaning/ maintenance and other onsite projects:
- We occasionally have group volunteer opportunities, usually on Friday or Saturday mornings from 9 a.m. to noon. (We may be able to accommodate special date requests, but cannot guarantee it)
- Ideal group size is 6-15 volunteers
- All volunteers in the group must be age 10 or older and there must be at least two volunteers ages 18 or older in the group. (Exception: student project groups with all volunteers age 16 or older may be accepted with only one chaperone)
- All volunteers in the group must wear closed-toed shoes and long pants. Please be prepared for the weather and dress accordingly
- Large groups take planning. We need to know at least 30 days in advance and we cannot guarantee we will have an on-site project for you, but we will see if our needs match your group’s interests.
For onsite projects, including lemonade stand, group leaders should:
- complete an online application
- complete background check (will be sent upon receipt of the application)
- bring a complete group liability waiver form for all of the persons in your group
Tours are available - please indicate in the application if you'd like a tour.