Wellness Check Volunteer
PROGRAM NAME: Social Prescribing Program
POSITION TITLE: Wellness Check Volunteer
SCHEDULE: 4 hours per week (Flexible); Monday – Friday 9am – 3pm
LOCATION: 2420 Montrose Ave, Senior Services
REPORTS TO: Coordinator, Social Prescribing
Archway Community Services provides more than 85 programs and services to clients at every stage of life. Our vision for the future is justice, opportunities, and equitable access for all. We strive toward that goal by fostering community well-being and social justice through positive action and leadership. Come help us help people.
The Social Prescribing program is offered by Senior Services at Archway Community Services. The purpose of the program is to delay frailty, encourage self-care management and reduce loss of independence for older adult clients. One service offered by the program is weekly over-the-phone check-ins.
Under the guidance of the Coordinator, Social Prescribing Program, the Wellness Check Volunteer will be tasked with phoning clients of the program to conduct wellness check-ins. The volunteer will inquire how the client is doing, offer supportive services and take part in friendly chats.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Phone clients of the Social Prescribing Program as directed by the program coordinator.
- Engage in friendly phone calls, discussing the news & chatting.
- Determine the wellbeing of clients and make note of changes overtime.
- Offer services and resources based on client needs.
- Record number of clients served & collect informal client feedback.
- Report questions or concerns to the Coordinator, Social Prescribing Program.
- Comply with all agency policies, procedures, and protocols in the performance of duties.
- Complete additional duties as designated by the Coordinator, Social Prescribing Program.
Education and Certification:
- Provision and maintenance of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
- Experience supporting older adults and vulnerable populations is an asset.
Knowledge and Skill Set
- Familiarity with available senior services and resources.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills during over-the-phone conversations.
- Sensitivity to the needs and challenges faced by older adults and those traditionally marginalized in our community.
The Wellness Check Volunteer may experience low to high levels of social contact while working in a shared office space with staff members and clients. COVID-19 safety protocols are in place. The work environment reflects a calm, professional and a business-like atmosphere. Volunteer hours take place Monday – Friday (9am-3pm).
Advocacy & Social Equity Department
Applying a social justice lens to our work as it provides a common language to communicate about our work and ensures that we are moving beyond immediate and short-term reaction to long term, thoughtful changes.