PROGRAM NAME: Youth Buddy / Immigrant Youth and Young Adults
POSITION TITLE: Newcomer Youth Peer Tutor
SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday 3:00-5:30
LOCATION: George Ferguson Way
REPORTS TO: Coby Piazza, Immigrant Youth Program Coordinator
The Newcomer Youth Peer Tutor attends our after school programming and assists immigrant and refugee youth aged 12-24 with their homework, English language learning, and recreation activities. The Peer Tutor would be helping with middle school, high school, or university level assignments. There is especially a need for science and math tutors at the middle and high school level, and essay writing support at the university level. Ability to speak a language other than English is an asset, but not required, especially Arabic, Punjabi, or Spanish.
- Accountability and Dependability: Takes personal ownership and responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work commitments. Follows organizational guidelines, professional standards, regulations and principles. Demonstrates reliability and integrity on a daily basis. Reliable and dependable in performing job-related tasks, finishing assigned projects, meeting deadlines and appointments. Communicates delays in work and renegotiates deadlines in a timely manner.
- Communication: Respectfully listens to others to gain a full understanding of issues; comprehends written material; presents information in a clear and concise manner orally and in writing to ensure others understand his/her ideas; appropriately adapts his/her message, style, and tone to accommodate a variety of audiences. Expressing and transmitting information with consistency and clarity, using active listening techniques in order to effectively understand provided feedback, summarizing information according to the audience in order to increase understanding.
- Ethics, Integrity, Confidentiality, and Trust: Models and promotes honesty and integrity within and with others. Takes the right action at the right time and in a manner that complies with the processes and procedures of the organization and the law. Demonstrates effective discretion, builds rapport with others and maintains confidentiality. Displays honesty and transparency that exhibits the values and mission of the workplace.
- Valuing Diversity and Inclusion: Appreciating and leveraging the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Working effectively with individuals of diverse style, ability, and motivation. Seeking to be inclusive of all abilities, cultures, and backgrounds; challenging exclusionary practices.
- Professionalism: Behaves with fairness and consistency in communication, daily interactions, and decision-making. Shares information and ideas with others in a collaborative manner. Maintaining consistent lines of communication with manager, supervisor, team members and clients communicating deadlines, issues, status updates, and successes. Maintaining appropriate interpersonal relationships and boundaries with staff and clients.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assisting newcomer youth with their homework and assignments.
- Helping to prepare food and clean up.
- Connecting with youth and acting as a positive role model and mentor.
- Engaging in recreation activities with youth once their homework is complete. If interested, volunteers can help to plan activities such as English learning games, sports, arts and crafts, etc.
Education and Certification:
- Maintenance of a valid Criminal Record Check
- Experience working with youth and/or diverse groups of people
Knowledge and Skill Set
- Strong inter-cultural communication skills
- Ability to connect with youth
- Academic proficiency in English, Math, or Science
- Knowledge of another language other than English is an asset (especially Arabic, Punjabi, or Spanish)