Access 2 English Tutor
Access2English is a program at Abbotsford Community Services that helps individuals meet their goals for basic literacy, quality of life, employment and self-sufficiency.
If you're someone who loves learning and teaching others, this program is in need of the assistance of dedicated and caring volunteers to fulfill its mission.
We match volunteer tutors with adults who want to improve their reading, writing, basic math, basic computer, or speaking skills.
The time commitment is 2-4 hours per week at a mutually agreed upon public location.
While formal qualifications are not necessary, this program is ideal for people wanting to become teachers, and current or retired educators.
The program offers training and ongoing support and provides a great opportunity to make a difference in someone’s life and to give back to the community.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Tutoring learners one on one or in a small group on a regular basis
- Monitoring learner's progress
- Reporting to program coordinator
Skills and Qualities Required:
- Must have good reading and writing
- Must have excellent oral communication skills
- Must have basic computer and word processing skills
- Must be culturally sensitive, respectful of learners, encouraging, and patient
- Submit 3 references (local references preferred)
- Request Criminal Record Release
- Attend interview
- Attend orientation and tutor workshops
- From time of program registration until June
- 1 to 2 times weekly for 1 to 2 hours (2-4 hours/week)
- Mutually agreed upon public location
- Tutors can record volunteer hours under "Hours Log" in their myvolunteerpage.com account. The Coordinator will approve your logged hours.
- Training and resources are provided for all tutors. The training program includes information about how adults learn to read and write, how we learn to learn, how to help learner set and meet learning goals, how to be an effective tutor, and much more.
Paulette at 604-768-6277 or email email@example.com
- 6 months
- 1 year