Be rewarded and have new experiences, volunteer with us as an Mentor.
- Work on a one to one basis with a primary school child aged 5-11yrs for a full year.
- Meet the child every week, outside of school hours or at weekends for 2 hours+.
- Offer problem free time away from their issues, motivational support and guidance
- Engage with the child in recreational/educational and interesting activities to open the child to new experiences to achieve their set goals.
- To challenge negative behaviour and to participate in whole group activities with other mentees and their mentors.
What you can expect
- Participate in school meetings to set goals and targets for the mentoring year.
- Provide emotional and practical support to the child. Giving them good sound appropriate advice.
- Selecting your weekly activities with the child, working within your set budget.
- Complete plans for each session you have together and email them to your volunteer coordinator on a weekly basis.
- Speak with the parent/carer when dropping child back home, focusing upon the positives of the child’s behaviour, so the child can hear good things being said about them.
- Feedback any concerns you may have about the wellbeing of the child to your volunteer coordinator or project manager asap.
- Attend monthly supervision sessions with your volunteer coordinator
- Participate in Mentor Forums or any other Mentor group activity.
Attend our fantastic Graduation Ceremony with your partner/family member, the child and their family, the child’s school teacher to celebrate the ending of your wonderful year together.
What we can offer:
- Gaining valuable social care experience, working with children and their families
- Wonderful opportunity and very beneficial for students or people looking to study and work in the social care sector.
- Learning about how best to support children living in difficult situations, whilst being fully supported in your practice.
- Improving your employability skills for future employment
- Improving your confidence to work with children and their families
- Being actively involved in your local community
- Meeting new people, making new friends
- Gaining a sense of pride and self-worth and feeling good about just 'giving something back'
Action for Children does what’s right, does what’s needed and does what’s works.
Junior Mentoring In Action
We work across Merseyside, focussing on children aged 5-11 years. They are experiencing difficulties which may be having a negative impact on their learning, confidence and social skills.
The programme provides a solution focused approach to support a child to develop their inner resources and strengths. Building their self-esteem, and finding positive alternatives to their challenging behaviour that could otherwise result in them not reaching their full potential.
We provide a tailored one-to-one mentoring package with a carefully screened, trained and supervised adult volunteers from within the community.
Volunteers are trained in using a solution focused approach to working with children, they cover safeguarding children, lone working and solution focused approach to working with children, before they are matched to a child. Safeguarding is paramount throughout our work.
- 96% OF THE CHILDREN ACHIEVE THEIR SET GOALS
- 98% SHOW AN IMPROVEMENT WITH ISSUES THEY WERE REFERRED FOR
The benefit of the mentoring service affects the individual child, their family life, their school academic life, the relationships with their friends and the life of the volunteer mentor.