Child/Young Person Befriender
Be rewarded and have new experiences, volunteer with us as Befriender.
- Work on a one to one basis with a primary school child aged 5+ for a full year.
- Meet the child every fortnight, outside of school hours or at weekends for 2 hours+.
- Offer problem free time away from their issues, motivational support and a listening ear.
- Engage with the child in recreational/educational and interesting activities to open the child to new experiences to build their self-confidence and self-esteem.
What you can expect
- Selecting your weekly activities with the child, working within your set budget.
- Complete plans for each session you have together and email them to your volunteer coordinator on a fortnightly basis.
- Speak with the parent/carer when dropping child back home, focusing upon the positives of the child’s behaviour, so the child can hear good things being said about them.
- Feedback any concerns you may have about the wellbeing of the child to your volunteer coordinator or project manager asap.
- Attend monthly supervision sessions with your volunteer coordinator
What we can offer:
- Gaining valuable social care experience, working with children and their families
- Wonderful opportunity and very beneficial for students or people looking to study and work in the social care sector.
- Learning about how best to support children living in difficult situations, whilst being fully supported in your practice.
- Improving your employability skills for future employment
- Improving your confidence to work with children and their families
- Being actively involved in your local community
- Meeting new people, making new friends
- Gaining a sense of pride and self-worth and feeling good about just 'giving something back'
Action for Children does what’s right, does what’s needed and does what works.
Aberdeen Priority Families Service adopts a whole family approach to supporting and enabling families with multiple and complex needs to improve their life outcomes.