Be rewarded and have new experiences, volunteer with us as an Mentor.
We're looking for Mentors to work with a young person, meeting up with them regularly to provide support and guidance. Support for these young people can include practical help in how to access services and offering motivational support and guidance with anything from education and employment to developing independent living skills.
- meeting up with the young person you are matched with on a regular basis
- providing emotional and practical support where appropriate
- giving advice, acting as an 'adult friend'
- assisting the young person to access services and speaking on their behalf where requested by them
- contributing to the young person's social, emotional and educational development
- completing evaluation forms for each visit and feeding back any concerns about the wellbeing of the young person to the Project Worker.
What we can offer:
- Gaining valuable experience, working with young people and local support services
- Learning about how best to support young people living in difficult situations, whilst being fully supported in your practice.
- Improving your employability skills for future employment
- Improving your confidence to work young people
- Gaining a sense of pride and self-worth and feeling good about just 'giving something back'
Action for Children does what’s right, does what’s needed and does what works.
Our Service provides supported accommodation for homeless young people ages 16-24
We offer a general counselling and support service including befriending, advising on food preparation, reminding and non-specialist counselling where this does not overlap with similar services provided as personal care or personal support.
We aim to provide;
- a welcoming and accessible service that respects and values young people as individuals;
- a professional, non-judgemental and confidential way in a safe and comfortable environment;
- work in partnership with young people and where appropriate their families, employers, organisations and individuals;
- provide information and guidance to encourage young people to make informed healthy decisions.”