Disability Support Assistant
Swansea and Neath/Port Talbot POPS Teams
The Positive Outcomes Play Service offers children and young people with learning disabilities opportunities to participate in community based activities such as going to the park, bowling or out for a meal.
Staff support young people 1:1, 2:1 & take them out as a group in order for them to develop their communication and social skills and make new friends. Volunteers would be welcome to join some of the group activities and could also help alongside experienced staff members when children need 2:1 support.
POPS operates in a number of different locations across Neath, Port Talbot and Swansea
In Swansea we need volunteers to help run our youth groups which takes place on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday between 4 and 7pm, and Saturday all day. The group participates in activities such as arts and crafts, multi-sensory room and cookery, and out in the community.
In NPT there are a number of groups on Monday & Thursday evenings and Saturdays. They also require volunteers to help with activities, trips and to work alongside staff in other settings. This group also spends time at Baglan library.
- Be patient and reliable
- Have experience of or the desire to support children/young people with disabilities
- Have good communication skills
- Work alongside a variety of different people
- Have a positive attitude
- Use your initiative but also ask for help when needed
- Be willing to challenge discrimination
What you can expect:
- interacting with service users, whilst listening to what they have to say, to make their voice heard
- Join in and help with activities
- Contribute to children/young people's social, emotional and educational development
- Keep records of activities including session & travel time
What we can offer:
- The benefits of volunteering in this role include gaining experience in supporting children and young people with disabilities
- Enjoying a sense of personal satisfaction
- Getting to know some great people!
Training and support will be provided and expenses paid.
If you have any further questions abut this role or need assistance with the application form then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Jacqueline.email@example.com or 01792 813522
Action for children is passionate about promoting equality, valuing diversity and working inclusively. We welcome applications from all persons particularly those who idnetify as Male, people with disabilities, and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic applicants, as these groups are currently under representedin our organisation
Welcome to Neath Port Talbot/Swansea Community Short Breaks Project!
Neath Port Talbot/Swansea Community Short Breaks Project (NPT) provide sessions to young people with disabilities and overnight Family Link placements, including Swansea Pops and Swansea Link.