About this service
Pact Family and Gateway Services provide support to families who have a loved one in prison or who have been affected by the criminal justice system. In order to reach as many people in need as possible, we rely on volunteers to support our services in a range of different ways.
Purpose of this role
*Please note that this is a Volunteering Role*
As the Volunteering Champion, you will support the London Volunteer Manager with the recruitment of new volunteers to services in London.
You will play an important part of the journey of a volunteer with Pact, supporting from initial application stage to induction. This involved communicating with individuals interested in volunteering with Pact, sharing applications with colleagues, arranging interviews, completing pre-volunteering checks and also supporting with delivery of training sessions.
What you will be doing
- Recruit volunteers across a wide geographical area, using a variety of innovative and creative methods including (but not limited to) advertising in volunteer centres, online promotion, presentations to community groups, churches and universities, as well as printed materials as required.
- Conduct Disclosure and Barring Service Checks on new volunteers and ensure existing volunteers update theirs where required as per their role.
- Ensure that volunteers are encouraged to participate in their roles through activities such as group supervisions, one to one support, and training/developmental events.
- Support the London Volunteer Manager in arranging volunteer interviews, training dates and booking of rooms where required
- Attend training as identified through reviews with your line manager, both internally and externally.
- Adhere to policies and practices relevant to this role: Confidentiality; Health & Safety; Child Protection and Safeguarding; Equality and Diversity; and Prison security rules etc.
- Report all incidents and concerns related to Health and Safety or Safeguarding to a member of the Pact staff team.
- Provide support to other Pact staff/teams where required.
Time commitment & location
Location: Pact Central Office, 29 Peckham Road, London SE5 8BA.
Time commitment: A minimum of 2 days per week
Because of the training and induction requirements, and value of this role Pact hopes you will commit to volunteering with us for at least 6 months.
The type of person we are looking for
Skills / Abilities
Experience of working with members of the public / customer service experience
Experience of working in a team
Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to respect confidentiality
Organised and able to use initiative
Ability to work alone or in a team
Good administration skills
Good IT skills (particularly Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Outlook)
Non-judgemental, empathetic attitude towards prisoners and their families
Honesty and reliability
Warm and friendly approach to working with people
Be able to treat all staff, prisoners and their families with respect, dignity and courtesy
‘Can Do’ attitude
What we offer
Training for this role is likely to include recruiting and managing volunteers, safeguarding, Professional Boundaries and Equality & Diversity as well as numerous e-learning training modules available to you.
Travel costs, via public transport or private car (mileage) will be reimbursed including travel to attend training. Subsistence, i.e. lunch may also be reimbursed, according to our expenses policy.
This role is subject to:
- 2 references
- DBS check (Disclosure & Barring Service)
Please be aware that these necessary checks can take a number of weeks to process.
Support and Supervision
We will provide a full induction and regular supervision to support you in the role.
Benefits to you
- Developing experience and knowledge of volunteer management
- Experience of the prison environment
- Developing listening skills
- Opportunity to develop relationship building skills
- Subject to satisfactory volunteering with Pact, we will be happy to provide references in support of applications for employment
If you are interested in this role please click the ‘fill in application’ box to the right