Volunteer Administration Support Officer
We are looking to recruit a Volunteer Administration Support Officer to join our admin team based in Bristol, which is part of the Through the Gate (TTG) service.
About the service:
Pact Futures Through the Gate service offers support for men and women being released from prisons across Wales and the South West of England, by providing mentoring to assist with their reintegration back into the community. Our service aims to reduce reoffending by supporting individuals in areas such as housing, health, benefits, family relationships, attending appointments and emotional support. We also offer a meet-at-the-gate service to support people directly upon release from the prison.
Hours of work
You will need to be willing to volunteer at least one full day or two half days a week, however two full days a week would be preferable.
Because of the training, induction and vetting requirements, and the value of this role, Pact hopes you will commit to volunteering with us for at least 6 months.
About the role
We are looking for somebody to provide general administrative support to the admin team. The role will be office based, and will involve (but not be limited to) the following:
- Managing and uploading case notes/reports from mentoring support onto various systems
- Assisting with ad hoc requests from mentors and members of the team, at all times managing sensitive data using established security practices
- Assisting with incoming referrals where needed - recording data on our systems , answering queries and chasing up overdue paperwork
In addition to the above we are keen for the successful candidate to offer support and gain experience in other areas that may interest them, provided that they are relevant and fit around workload. We are very happy for the candidate to gain experience shadowing our mentors and experiencing the service first hand if they wish, however this is not mandatory for the role.
About the candidate
We are looking for a self-motivated individual who has skills in the following areas:
- Strong organisational skills with a keen eye for detail, and a methodical approach to data management
- Good working knowledge of IT systems, including Microsoft Office
- Effective communication, with an ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with a variety of professionals in and around the criminal justice system
- Flexibility and willingness to use initiative and lateral thinking in problem solving
- As you would be handling extremely sensitive personal data for our service users, secure and confidential handling of data is vital
This role is subject to:
- 2 references
- DBS check (Disclosure & Barring Service)
- Prison Vetting clearance
Please be aware that these necessary checks can take a number of weeks to process, however may not need to be fully completed in order for you to start work.
As well as the above skills, we are looking for an individual with a positive attitude, who is passionate about giving back and working with the team to deliver real support to vulnerable people. It is essential that you have a non-judgemental attitude towards prisoners, ex-prisoners and their families.
What we can offer you
You will benefit from gaining useful experience within the voluntary sector, alongside various parts of the criminal justice system as a whole. We are committed to supporting and developing our volunteers, therefore if there are particular areas you wish to explore we are very happy to discuss these and help where feasible.
Some additional benefits include:
- Developing communication skills
- You’ll be helping Pact Futures work in reducing re-offending
- CV building
- Working as a valued member of a team
- Networking with a range of services
Please note that this is a volunteer role, therefore will be unpaid.
Travel costs, via public transport or private car (mileage) will be reimbursed including travel to attend training. Subsistence, i.e. lunch may also be reimbursed, according to our expenses policy.
Support and Supervision
We will provide a full induction and regular supervision to support you in the role.
Pact is an equal opportunity organisation and welcomes applications form all backgrounds including those with previous criminal convictions (appointment to volunteering will be subject to a risk assessment).