About this service
Our Prisoners Families Helpline provides support to prisoners and their families whom have been affected by imprisonment across England and Wales.
Purpose of this role
To provide advice and information to those affected by imprisonment across England and Wales, by responding to telephone calls and e-mails from members of the public and professionals. You will respond to queries by providing direct advice, signposting to other relevant organisations and also referring to the Pact Services Team for further support where required.
Time commitment & location
Location: Pact Central Office, 29 Peckham Road, London, SE5 8UA
Time commitment: We expect the volunteers to commit to working one shift per week, for a period of at least 6 months.
Shifts are available from Monday through to Sunday at covering the following times:
Monday & Friday 9:00am– 2:30pm (5.5hrs )
Monday & Friday 2.30pm – 8:00pm (5.5hrs )
Monday – Friday 5:00pm – 8:00pm (3 hrs)
Saturday - Sunday 10.00am – 3:30pm (5.5hrs)
What you will be doing
- Dealing with daily telephone calls to the Helpline
- Producing copies of literature to be used in the office
- Collating data and inputting onto Pact systems
- Signposting and completing referrals to existing Pact services and external organisations
The type of person we are looking for
Skills / Abilities
Working in an office type environment
Working in a team
Handling sensitive data
Verbal & written
Good I.T. literacy
Genuine desire to help people
What we offer
Full, two day training is provided as part of the recruitment process. The first day will consist of Professional Boundaries and Safeguarding Training, followed by role specific training on the second day.
Travel costs of up to £10 per day and lunch of up to £3.50 (if worked over 4 hours) will be reimbursed upon completion of an expense claim form and supporting documentation such as receipts and proof of travel/mileage
This role is subject to:
- 2 references
- DBS check (Disclosure & Barring Service)
- Security Vetting by Her Majesty’s Prison Service (depending on role)
Please be aware that these necessary checks can take a number of weeks to process.
Support and Supervision
We will provide a full induction and regular supervision to support you in the role.
Benefits to you
- Make a huge difference to prisoners and families
- Gain valuable experience of working in an office
- Gain practical skills and experience
- Develop skills and enhance your CV for future employment / volunteering opportunities
- Join a great team of supportive, respectful and caring individuals