Volunteer Coordinator HMP Downview and HMP High Down
Family Services -
(Volunteer) Volunteer Coordinator Role Description
About this service
Pact Family Services provide support to families who have a loved one in prison. Our staff and volunteers meet and greet families as they arrive for a visit with practical and emotional support like refreshments, visitor information and play services for children. We operate in prison Visitors Centres (outside the prison gates) and inside the Visits Hall (inside the prison gates) across the UK.
Purpose of this role
As the Volunteer Coordinator you will lead on the recruitment of new volunteers, as well as supporting the Family Engagement Manager (FEM) with training and retaining volunteers at HMP Downview and HMP High Down.
You will also work closely with the Family Engagement Manager for each prison communicating with other volunteers to assist with sorting availability, arranging rotas, and leading group supervision sessions with volunteers.
Time commitment & location
The ideal candidate will be able to commit to a minimum of 2 days a week. The role will be based between HMP Downview and HMP High Down, Sutton Lane, Sutton, SM2 5PD.
Because of the training and induction requirements, and value of this role, Pact hopes you will commit to volunteering with us for at least 6 months.
What you will be doing
- Recruit volunteers across a wide geographical area, using a variety of innovative and creative methods including (but not limited to) advertising in volunteer centres, online promotion, presentations to community groups, churches and universities, as well as printed materials as required.
- Conduct Disclosure and Barring Service Checks on new volunteers and ensure existing volunteers update theirs as relevant.
- Ensure that volunteers are encouraged to participate in their roles through activities such as group supervisions, one to one support, and developmental events.
- Assist the Family Engagement Manager with obtaining volunteer availability and arranging rotas.
- Attend training as identified through reviews with your line manager, both internally and externally.
- Adhere to policies and practises relevant to this role: Confidentiality; Health & Safety; Child Protection and Safeguarding; Equality and Diversity; and Prison security rules etc.
- Report all incidents and concerns related to Health and Safety or Safeguarding to a member of the Pact staff team.
- Support the team in any other areas with the delivery of service if required, e.g., support with family visits or play area.
The type of person we are looking for
Skills / Abilities
Experience of working with members of the public / customer service experience
Experience of working in a team
Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to respect confidentiality
Organised and able to use initiative
Ability to work alone or in a team
Good administration skills
Good IT skills
Non-judgemental, empathetic attitude towards prisoners and their families
Honesty and reliability
Warm and friendly approach to working with people
Be able to treat all staff, prisoners and their families with respect, dignity and courtesy
What we offer
Training for this role is likely to include recruiting and managing volunteers, safeguarding, Professional Boundaries and Equality & Diversity as well as numerous e-learning training modules available to you.
Travel costs, via public transport or private car (mileage) will be reimbursed including travel to attend training. Subsistence, i.e. lunch may also be reimbursed, according to our expenses policy.
This role will be subject to:
- DBS check (Disclosure & Barring Service)
- Potential Prison Vetting clearance.
Please be aware that these necessary checks can take a number of weeks to process.
Support and Supervision
We will provide a full induction and regular supervision to support you in the role.
Benefits to you
- Developing experience and knowledge of volunteer management
- Experience of the prison environment
- Developing listening skills
- Opportunity to develop relationship building skills
- Subject to satisfactory volunteering with Pact, we will be happy to provide references in support of applications for employment