Time For Change Befriender Aberdeen
Do you have personal experience of bad housing or homelessness? Could you use your experience to provide emotional support to somebody else who is experiencing housing issues and isolation? We’re looking for befrienders to help individuals, initially by telephone, who are engaged in our Time for Change project in Aberdeen.
Time for Change is our approach to involving people with lived experience to identify local issues, co-design our services and campaign for change. This can sometimes be emotionally challenging for those involved given the trauma associated with homelessness or bad housing, so your role as a befriender would be to provide short-term support in addressing and overcoming these challenges. Full training will be given to support you in this role.
- Provide 1-1 social and emotional support to a Peer with Lived Experience of homelessness or housing issues.
- To support Time for Change in helping to inform the issues people are facing within the community.
- Build strong relationships with the Time for Change Peers.
- Support the Peer in tracking their personal goals such as increasing confidence or getting more involved in their community and the Aberdeen Time for Change Project
- Refer Peer to Development Worker in order to access services or support that they are entitled to
- Regularly communicate with the Development Worker about the Peer’s general feedback
- Providing open, non-judgemental space to allow Peers to talk on their experiences, isolation they may be feeling, issues they may be facing and their general involvement with Time for Change