Community Volunteer - Merseyside
Community Volunteer Merseyside
Do you want to join our movement and defend the right to a safe home? We’re looking for volunteers who can join us at events in the community to help us raise money, raise awareness and tackle the housing emergency through taking small actions. This is a highly flexible role. We’ll let you know about upcoming events and tasks and you choose which you’d like to attend or do. The housing emergency hurts everyone. The fight to end it starts here!
- Suggested involvement: Varied, ideally you would help out at least 4-5 times per year, but this is flexible.
- Availability: This is a flexible opportunity, with events taking place at different times and on different days over the year. You choose the ones that suit you.
- Location: Merseyside
- Supervised by: Regional Community Fundraiser
Why volunteer with Shelter?
A home is a fundamental human need, as vital as education or healthcare. But in Britain today, that right is denied to millions of people whose lives are blighted by homelessness, bad housing conditions, soaring rents, discrimination and the threat of eviction. The time for change is now. Together with individuals, in communities and across society, we will lead the way for a safe home for all. But we need your help to do it.
This is a fantastic, flexible opportunity that gives you the opportunity to take practical action and to meet other people who are passionate about tackling the housing emergency. You’ll be joining our wider community of 2,500 volunteers who fight for home in our shops and frontline services! We have committed to combat racism both within and outside of Shelter, and welcome you on our journey to becoming a truly anti-racist organisation.
This is a flexible and diverse role. Here are some of the activities you might get involved in:
- Represent us at a range of events including, community fairs, gigs, Pride marches, sporting events and street stalls.
- Support some of our fundraising activity such as holding collection cans in public spaces or bag packing in supermarkets.
- Help us grow our movement for change by supporting petitions and raising awareness of our calls to action through social media.
- Other one-off tasks such as web-based research.
Skills and Experiences Required
- Passionate about joining the fight for home
Benefits of volunteering with Shelter
- Join our fight against bad housing and homelessness and become a force for change!
- Contribute your time flexibly as and when it suits you
- Meet other volunteers locally
- Experience volunteering at a range of different events
- Entry to events you choose to volunteer at!
- Build your confidence and develop transferable skills
Learning & Development
To enable you to take part in this opportunity we will:
- Put you in contact with your local Community Fundraiser who will support you in the role
- Provide you with relevant policies
- Provide relevant induction, training and information
- Refund any out-of-pocket expenses in line with Shelter’s volunteer expenses policy
- Please complete an online application for this role by clicking ‘fill an application’. Applicants will then be invited to a recruitment conversation to discuss this role further.
- Please note, upon offer of role you will be asked to declare any unspent convictions. Having a criminal record does not mean that you cannot volunteer with us. It may limit the different ways you can get involved, but please contact us at email@example.com if you require more information.
This is a voluntary position that supports the work of our Community Fundraisers and is not replacing the work of a paid member of staff. This role profile does not form part of any contract of employment.