Front of House Volunteer - Blackburn, Lancashire
Front of House Volunteer
Role Summary- To be the first point of contact for clients and visitors at assisting the administration team with reception duties, and supporting the operation of the Shelter office in their day to day business
Time Commitment: One day a week for a minimum of six months, but this is flexible
Location: Shelter, Blackburn Library, Town Hall Street, Blackburn BB2 1AG
Supervised by: Thelma Tomlinson, Volunteer Support Officer
As a Front of House volunteer, you will play an essential part of the team, welcoming clients and visitors to the hub and providing key administrative support. This role will give you the opportunity to volunteer in a fast-paced, client-facing environment, as well as giving you hands-on experience in one of the UK's leading housing charities.
Main Tasks can include:
- Meeting and greeting clients and visitors
- Covering reception duties and being the first point of contact for the Hub
- Booking in clients for appointments with our advisers
- Responding to general inquiries, in person and over the phone
- Signposting people to other services if we are unable to help
- General administrative tasks (photocopying, scanning, creating client files and filing)
Skills and Experiences required:
Experience of working with the public
Excellent communication skills and the ability to understand the needs of our customers
The ability to work as part of a team and value others
An ability to confidently use Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Excel and PDF documents to a good standard
Willingness to follow Shelter's policies, including volunteering, health & safety, equality & diversity, confidentiality & data protection
Induction, Learning and Development:
To enable you to take part in this opportunity, Shelter will:
- Provide you with a Volunteer Handbook and all Policies and Procedures
- Provide E-Learning: Equality and Diversity, Health and Safety, Data Protection, Environmental Awareness and Safeguarding
- Provide on the job induction
- Reimburse "out of pocket" expenses in line with Shelter's volunteer expenses policy
Benefits of Volunteering with Shelter
- Supporting Shelter in our fight against bad housing and homelessness
- Build your confidence and develop transferable skills
- Be part of a great team
- Gain valuable work experience as part of a team
- Enhances your CV, we can help you to update this and will provide references when you leave our services
Why get involved with Shelter?
Shelter helps millions of people every year struggling with bad housing or homelessness through our advice, support and legal services. And we campaign to make sure that, one day, no one will have to turn to us for help. We're here so no one has to fight bad housing or homelessness on their own. Shelter volunteers are involved in our head office, services, shops, campaigns, events and our legal teams and they all contribute their valuable time, skills and experience. We simply couldn't achieve our goals without them.
Please complete an application for this role by clicking "Fill in an application". After you have applied, we will invite successful candidates to an interview to discuss the role further.
- You will be involved in regulated activity for this role, and for this reason we require you to undertake a basic DBS check
Please note, you will be asked to declare any unspent convictions. Having a criminal record does not mean that you cannot volunteer with us. It may limit the different ways that you can get involved, but please contact us (using the email stated above), if you require more information.
This is a voluntary position that supports the work of our services and is not replacing the work of a paid member of staff. This role profile does not form part of any contract of employment.
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyVolunteerPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account