Hub Support Volunteer - Aberdeen
The volunteer will provide initial contact for anybody dropping in to our local advice Hub for support with their housing issues. The volunteer will talk to people about their needs then support them to access information on our website, complete forms, or access another service. The volunteer could also undertake some other admin or data input tasks during quiet spells, and support our efforts to raise awareness about our advice service.
This is a great role for somebody who is empathetic and passionate about reducing homelessness or housing issues in Scotland. It would also suit somebody who would like experience in a support role.
Suggested Commitment: Volunteers would complete 3 hours per week between the hours of 10 and 4, Monday to Friday, with a minimum suggested commitment of 9 months.
Role Locations: Aberdeen
Why this role matters to Shelter Scotland:
More than half a million people a year come to us for advice and support via our website, help lines, and national network of services. We help people to find and keep a home in a place where they can thrive, and we tackle the root causes of bad housing by campaigning for new laws, policies and practice.
The advisors in our hubs provide advice and support to people experiencing homelessness or bad housing. This role will help us to ensure that more people are accessing the information they need, and it ensures that our advisors are able to prioritise those people in most need.
- Welcoming clients to the Hub
- Assessing client’s needs using an interview/checklist template
- Assisting clients in navigating the ‘Get Advice’ pages on the Shelter Scotland website
- Providing information on Shelter Scotland services and signposting to other external agencies
- Supporting clients to complete online forms or applications (e.g. for benefits)
- Supporting the service with some basic admin and data input tasks
- The volunteer is not expected to give advice on housing issues to clients. Any services requiring advice should be referred to an Advisor.
- Requires a clean driving license and access to their own car. This not essential for this role