Animal Care Volunteer (18+)
ANIMAL CARE VOLUNTEER
Animals are the reason visitors attend Zoo Boise. Animal Care volunteers assist the Animal Care staff in creating a comfortable home for the animals and beautiful exhibits for visitors to see.
Positions are often available in the following sections: Primates, Penguins, Small Animal Kingdom, Africa, Pampas, and in the Zoo Commissary. Due to the danger involved, volunteers do not work in enclosures of large carnivores or inside primate enclosures.
General responsibilities include: exhibit maintenance (removing feces and bedding from exhibits and cleaning the glass), diet preparation and feeding some of the animals, animal observations, preparing animal enrichments, and opportunities to train in another section after one year of service.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must commit to one shift per week for 6 months
- Shift times are 8:00am – 12:00pm and 1:00pm – 5:00pm; Monday through Sunday
- Commit to volunteering at one special event OR rental per year
- Attend a group interview
- Participate in an 8-hour volunteer orientation
- Successfully complete an introductory period of 24 hours
- Pay a $40.00 program fee
- Note: financial assistance is available, please contact the Volunteer Services Office for more details
- Abide by all policies in the Volunteer Handbook
- Great customer service and ability to work well with visitors
- Good physical condition and able to lift 50 lbs.
- Willing to get dirty!
- Must submit a negative TB test at own expense
- Must be willing to submit to a Federal background check if deemed necessary by Zoo Boise staff
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyVolunteerPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account