MLK Library Welcome Ambassador Volunteer
MLK LIBRARY WELCOME AMBASSADOR
DC Public Library invites you to join a team of MLK Library Welcome Ambassador Volunteers who will provide a welcoming experience for all customers. The primary responsibility will be to provide directional assistance to customers looking for specific services, departments and programs. Will you join us?
- Must be at least 18 years and older
- Excellent customer service skills
- Be able to provide clear communication of directions to customers and ability to answer questions
- Must be enthusiastic, cheerful and willing to learn. Have an interest in working with diverse staff and visitors
- Knowledge and interest in literature, library programs and special events
- Basic computer skills
- Willing to complete a background check
- Welcome and introduce visitors to DC Public Library
- Assist with receiving visitors
- Orient visitors to building flow
- Represent DC Public Library in a professional and courteous manner to staff and the visiting public
- MLK Library Welcome Ambassador Volunteers are expected to be available for one 4-hour shift or two 2-hour shifts per week, and a minimum commitment of one year. We are able to work around vacations and school schedules
- Typical shift: 2-4 hours per shift (morning - 9am - 1pm; afternoon - 1 pm - 5 pm; and evening - 5 pm - 9 pm)
- MLK Library Welcome Ambassador Volunteers are encouraged to volunteer as often as they are able
- Attend training sessions and meetings as scheduled
TRAINING AND ORIENTATION
- Initial 2-3 hours of training (including shadowing a DCPL staff person on a desk shift)
- Learn the materials through training and reading, be able to present information clearly, and answer questions in a politically neutral manner
- Attend scheduled meetings for in-service training and updates to the program
Benefits of being a MLK Library Welcome Ambassador Volunteer
- Opportunity to learn about literature and District of Columbia history, art and architecture
- Opportunity to meet interesting people
- Opportunity to share passion and enthusiasm for the library
- Chance to share and practice customer service skills
- Ongoing enrichment programs featuring local and national authors and annual social events.
ATTEND AN UPCOMING VIRTUAL INFORMATION SESSION
- Tuesday, June 22, 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday, June 26, 1 p.m.
To register for a virtual info session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Stacey Lucas at 202-741-5990.