American Sign Language Instructor
AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE INSTRUCTOR
The American Sign Language Instructor will teach or serve as substitute teachers for the DC Public Library ASL classes. ASL classes meet once a week daytime and/or evening at the Library Express - Center for Accessibility and any of the other neighborhood libraries in Washington, DC. Location, days, and times of classes are negotiated according to volunteer availability, and needs/interests of the particular library and the community.
- Strong commitment to customer service
- Ability to work with people of all ages and signing ability
- Fluency in ASL at the Intermediate Level (Equivalent to Level 3 Gallaudet University curriculum or higher)
- A background check is required for this position for individuals ages 18 and older
MINIMUM TIME COMMITMENT
- Willingness to commit to at least one or two hours per week for a period of 12-16 weeks (substitute teachers just need to be willing to fill in for a class as needed).
- Reports to on-site Volunteer Point-of-Contact
All prospective volunteers must attend an orientation held at the Library Express - Center for Accessibility.