Your role as a client mentor will be to support clients to achieve goals related to their recovery, whether that be attending meetings and groups whether with Addaction or other organisations or helping them get support with housing or benefits. You will offer them support and encouragement to live independent lives and help them to develop their interests and skills.
As a volunteer client mentor you will:
- Liaise with clients and their key workers to establish what goals they would like to achieve and what support they will need in order to do this.
- Meet with a client at agreed times and help them to achieve the goals they set.
- Maintain appropriate boundaries with the client.
- Be aware of your safeguarding responsibilities and ensure you operate within Addaction’s safeguarding policies.
- Ensure you inform the Volunteer Coordinator if you will not be able to come in on your designated days at the earliest possible opportunity.
- Inform the client or ask the Volunteer Coordinator to contact the client if you will be unable to meet with them at the designated time.
Some previous experience working with vulnerable groups or as a mentor would be useful, but not vital.
You will have supervision once a month with a member of the staff team to discuss your support and development needs. You will also be invited to attend the volunteer team meeting.