Service / Role Overview:
Volunteering in community centres is extremely rewarding as you will meet people from all walks of life and will be able to make a positive difference to their lives.
The community centre volunteers are extremely passionate about their centre and its activities and we are looking for more passionate people to help.
Supported by the Blackburn with Darwen Community Assets Team, community centres are run entirely by volunteers and each volunteer has a unique set of skills which are important in the overall management of the centre. Volunteers play a crucial part in helping to ensure that community centres remain open for residents to access facilities locally.
All roles will provide valuable experience and opportunities to access training.
The role of a Facilities support volunteer is helping to maintain the community centre ensuring it is a safe and welcoming environment for centre users. This includes supporting various tasks around the centre and opening and closing the community centre when required. Volunteers will also be involved in ensuring the building is secure; looking after assets, individuals or properties of the centre.
Please note that all volunteers are required to have a DBS.
- Support opening / closing of the community centre.
- Making sure that the centre is kept clean and secure, ensuring a welcoming environment for users.
- Support health and safety checks and initiatives within the community centre.
- Be able to complete handy person-type tasks (small mending and fixing tasks).
- Assist in setting up rooms for community activity.
Log volunteering hours via an on-line computer system.
- Flexible and able to cover centre opening times with support from other volunteers.
- Have basic DIY skills.
Be comfortable with lifting and carrying, as required in a manual role. Appropriate training will be provided.
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led.