Children and Families Community Support Befriending - CSB - Children & Families Befriending - Lancaster District
What is 'Children and Families Community Support Befriending'?
Befrienders actively support, encourage, and empower their person to achieve specified and agreed goals and objectives.We understand that a range of issues affecting one person will equally be felt by the family of the person being supported, so engaging and supporting a young person, their parent/guardian, or the whole family, will be the pivotal requirements of this volunteering opportunity.
How can I help?
We are looking for volunteers able to recognise how they can help in the situation, and be able to implement constructive change i.e. you may be supporting a young person to join a club or activity in order to focus on something positive, or assisiting a single parent to access local parenting groups to meet new people and regain their independence. With your help, having regular outings will increase the persons confidence, resilience and independence
How much time is involved?
A commitment of 1-2 hours minimum per week / flexible is required. We take considerable care to ensure a good match between the befriender and someone from their local area that we are supporting.
If you have a few hours spare during the week, or need to build up your customer care and work experience, or improve your skills of motivation and inspiration to others, or just want to help someone, please apply.
To regularly visit the parent/family/child/guardian either in their own home or a
- To regularly support the individual(s) to achieve agreed, positive goals.
- To provide regular feedback on the progress of the individual.
- To log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses where applicable via an on-line computer system.
- To complete minimum level training e.g. Safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to the role.
- Must be over 18 years of age
- Our Community Support Befrienders do not work with people who are family or close friends.
- Commitment of 1-2 hours minimum per week / flexible
- Minimum commitment of 6 months is required
- Understanding of vulnerability
Understanding and awareness of key issues that can affect lives i.e. mental health issues, misuse of substances -alcohol, drug abuse, etc.
- Ability to use basic ICT systems
- Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use own initiative
- Respect for equality and diversity
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Further information – if you would like further information prior to applying for this activity please contact 01772 531323 quoting Community Support Befriending or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday - Morning, Afternoon
- Tuesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Wednesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Thursday - Morning, Afternoon
- Friday - Morning, Afternoon
- Saturday - Morning, Afternoon
- Sunday - Morning, Afternoon