1. HOME LIBRARY SERVICES VOLUNTEERS - Garstang Library - Home Library Service
Home Library Services Volunteer
The Home Library Service is provided to library customers who are unable to visit their local library because of poor health (including physical and mental health), disability, caring responsibilities or mobility problems.
We require Home Library service volunteers to help us deliver books and other items to those customers.
The initial meeting with potential HLS customers will always be in conjunction with a member of Library staff.
Visits may be lone volunteering.
What the role offers you:
- Volunteering would give you the opportunity to share your love of reading and meeting people in the local community
- An induction programme and designated member of staff as contact for assistance and feedback
- Training and support
- An opportunity you can include on CV
- Reimbursement of travel expenses
- Regularly collecting pre-packed books and other items from the library and delivering to home library service customers at least once every 4 weeks.
- Reporting any concerns to staff or LVP as appropriate
- To regularly support the individual by socialising - The role is unique to every individual's needs and circumstances.
- To provide regular feedback on the progress of the individual or report any concerns.
- To log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses (where applicable) on-line.
- To complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to the role.
- Respect for equality and diversity
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use own initiative
- Be able to deal with difficult situations in a professional manner
- Genuine interest in books and reading
- Ability to use basic ICT systems
Training will be provided in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Please speak to a member of library staff before applying.
This role is subject to a DBS check.
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday - Morning, Afternoon
- Tuesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Wednesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Thursday - Morning, Afternoon
- Friday - Morning, Afternoon