Blackburn Central Library - General Library Support Volunteer
This opportunity will be supporting the library service.
We are seeking volunteers who will:
- Ensure that service users in the library are welcomed in a friendly and helpful manner.
- Encourage and promote greater usage of the Blackburn with Darwen Library and Information Services.
All volunteers will be required to provide two character references prior to starting their role.
To complement the work of existing staff in relevant areas by:
- Contributing to the welcoming and helpful atmosphere of the library
- Encouraging and promoting greater usage of the Borough’s Libraries
- Understanding the principles of good customer care and contributing towards its delivery within the library
- Contributing towards the tidiness of the physical display, ensuring that the library portrays a bright and attractive place for customers
- Floor walking, guiding users to the relevant service area and where appropriate accompany them to the department
- Promoting and encouraging the use of the self-issue machines (where appropriate) and self-return facilities alongside existing staff
- Assisting with the preparation of materials for workshops and other activities
- Helping to assemble Bookstart packs and other library resources
- Assisting with adult events and activities
- Contributing to and promoting events and activities in response to community needs
- Following the agreed procedures including reporting verbally to the supervisor or manager
- To attend relevant training courses / workshops
- Log volunteering hours via an on-line computer system
- Literate with good spoken and written English language skills
- Comfortable with using IT
- Physical ability to move library resources and trolleys, and be on your feet for long periods of time
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Organisational skills
- The ability to carry out tasks with minimal supervision
- Ability to contribute effectively as part of a team
- Experience of dealing directly with the public
- Excellent understanding of the principles and delivery of customer care
- Adaptable to changes
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Mon – Sat AM/PM
Blackburn Central Library, BB2 1AG
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday - Morning, Afternoon
- Tuesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Wednesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Thursday - Morning, Afternoon
- Friday - Morning, Afternoon
- Saturday - Morning, Afternoon
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyVolunteerPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account