Great Harwood Library - Red Rose Collections Digitisation
If you have a passion for local history, photographs and researching, then this opportunity is ideal.
What you are volunteering for
You will be assisting in the digitisation of photographs and newspapers held in the collections of Lancashire libraries for upload to the Red Rose Collections online archive. This role is part of the project aiming to open up access to records in the county and encourage more people to find out about the past.
What does it entail?
- Identification, indexing, research and curatorial work
- I.T skills –e.g. Scanning photographs to a specific standard
- Inputting information about specific items into an inline interface
- Training and support
- An opportunity to assist us in developing an online archive of local history
- You will be given a training session on the Red Rose Collection to show you how the online archive works, resources to guide you and will be allocated a password to access the system
- A designated member of staff as a contact for assistance and feedback
- An opportunity you can include on your CV
- Comply with the Volunteer Acceptable Use Guidelines
- Log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses where applicable via an on-line computer system
- Ability and an opportunity to share your local knowledge
- A commitment to the project
- Regular attendance at an agreed time
- Consistently accurate work
- Able to treat the records with care
Please speak to a member of library staff before applying
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led. Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday - Morning, Afternoon
- Tuesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Wednesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Thursday - Morning, Afternoon
- Friday - Morning, Afternoon