Judges Lodgings - Lancashire County Council Lancaster Museum - Gardens Team - Judges' Lodgings Lancaster
Overview of Service:
The Judges' Lodgings, Lancaster is looking to recruit volunteers to be part of the gardening team that will help maintain the garden to a high standard for our visitors.
Located at the back of the Lodgings the garden has been planted to a historic planting scheme and although small this makes it a lovely location which will be used for visitor recreation and occasional activities.
Our garden volunteers should have a keen interest in the planting used as well as the history of Judges Lodgings so that they are confident in sharing their knowledge when asked.
The Judges' Lodgings is Lancaster's oldest town house and a Grade 1 listed building. It takes its name from the Lancaster Castle Assize Court Judges who lodged here between 1775 and 1975, while they were trying cases. Thomas Covell, Mayor of Lancaster and Keeper of Lancaster Castle, lived here and is best remembered as the notorious witch-baiter who locked the Pendle Witches in their underground cell.
Judges Lodgings was reconstructed to its present form in 1675 and now contains the Gillow collection of furniture and the Museum of Childhood.
· Volunteers will help with the general maintenance of the garden.
· Volunteers will be willing and able to engage visitors and discuss the history of the building and garden as appropriate
· Volunteers should patrol the garden to check for hazards and ensure all features are presentable to the public at all times
· Litter picking and clearing around the grounds
· Volunteers will also be responsible for ensuring that the rules of the museum are observed and provide basic emergency cover such as assisting in fire evacuations.
· Using good customer care skills the volunteers should be confident about approaching visitors who touch or otherwise compromise the garden and building, and explain why they are asked not to do so.
· Log volunteering hours monthly and submit expenses where applicable via an on-line computer system
· Complete minimum level training e.g. safeguarding and commit to further training relevant to role
Please contact the museum prior to applying Tel: 01524 581241
· An interest in gardening
· Approachable and friendly
· Able to work as part of a team
· Physically fit
· Patience and understanding
· Aware of confidentiality
Location: Judges' Lodgings,15 Castle Hill, Lancaster LA1 1YS
Schedule (Days and Times)
The museum is open to the public from the end of March to start of November Friday to Sunday.
Volunteering in the garden will be throughout the year at set times arranged with the museum manager.
Any mandatory training:
Training will be provided where necessary and may be in the form of peer support, distance learning or trainer led.
Volunteers must have completed the required training before any activity can be undertaken and may be asked to regularly refresh training where required.
Is this post subject to DBS/Vetting:
This activity generally occurs on
- Friday - Morning, Afternoon
- Saturday - Morning, Afternoon
- Sunday - Morning, Afternoon