Parish and School Outreach - Domestic Violence Trainer
Domestic Violence Trainer
Catholic Charities is seeking an experienced domestic violence advocate to join its Domestic Violence Speakers Bureau, conducting parish workshops and presentations about domestic violence. Professional volunteers should have experience assisting domestic violence survivors and enjoy public speaking. Volunteers will have attended or be willing to attend the Maryland Network Against Domestic Violence (MNADV) 40-hour domestic advocate free training.
Domestic Violence Advocate Volunteers will be responsible for:
- Preparing and conducting presentations and workshops about domestic violence for parish outreach.
Desired Skills, Experience & Characteristics:
- Experience assisting domestic violence survivors
- Interpersonal skills
- Leadership skills
- Adaptable to change
- Calm demeanor
- Volunteers must be fluent in English
- Spanish and French speaking volunteers also desired
- Volunteers must be 18 years or older
- The opportunity to educate Catholic parishioners about domestic abuse and the United States Catholic Conference of Bishops recommendations on assisting families to seek safety.
- Widen outreach to immigrant communities speaking English, French and Spanish.
- Help support the creation of parish domestic violence committees to do ongoing outreach.
- Educate parish leaders about Catholic Charities and local resources available to assist families suffering domestic abuse.
- The volunteer will participate in Catholic Charities Volunteer Orientation
- Volunteers will have on-site supervision
- The domestic violence volunteer trainer will give six presentations/workshops a year, assisting parish leaders to learn about domestic violence and potential parish response recommended by the United States Catholic Conference of Bishops. Presentations will occur in parishes and/or offices as requested, often September-November, because October is domestic violence month.
- This role is based out of Catholic Charities office on Doctors Community Hospital Campus (8200 Good Luck Road, #100, Lanham MD 20706), and will also be dispatched to parishes throughout the Archdiocese (DC, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary’s counties), as requested by parishes
- Free parking available
- Office accessible by bus (New Carrollton Metro Station, then bus)
- Apply to serve in this role; click the Fill in an application button to the right to submit your application
- Then, join us for Volunteer Orientation to learn more about this role and begin the volunteer onboarding process