Refugee Center - Cultural Integration Volunteer
The Cultural Integration Volunteer will assist the Refugee Service Program to develop a July 4th social gathering for our clients. Volunteers will promote cross-cultural awareness and welcome our clients to life in the United States. By helping to plan and develop our first social gathering to promote cross-cultural appreciation, volunteers will help build community among clients.
This is a pilot project, therefore if the first event is successful, we will try to schedule quarterly cross-cultural events.
- Attend 2-3 planning meetings per month
- Organize all logistics for gatherings including food, activities, advertising, etc. (Budget and reimbursement will be provided by TVAP staff)
- Host the party and celebrate with the clients
- If successful, coordinate and recruit other party planners for future events
Volunteers will gain:
- Hands-on experience planning cross-cultural social gatherings
- Direct experience working with refugees, asylees, and other immigrants
- Experience joining the Refugee Service Team to assist clients in resettling in the U.S.
- 18 years of age or older
- Proficiency in Spanish preferred, not required
- Event planning experience preferred
Where: 1018 Monroe St. NE, Washington, DC (near Brookland Metro Station)
When: Immediate start date! As part of training, volunteers will attend volunteer orientation on June 19.
Time Commitment: At least 3 months, 3-4 hours per month, 8-10 hours during month of event. Possibility for extension if event is successful. Time for meetings is flexible, gathering possibly planned for Saturday.
- Volunteer Orientation on June 19 (or alternative date if necessary)
- Cultural Sensitivity when working with refugees/asylees/foreign survivors of trafficking
- Event planning, logistics, and evaluation
- Cross-cultural communication and activities that promote this topic
Questions: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign Up: Click the green "Fill in an application" button on the right hand side. Create an account, submit your application, then click "+ Sign Up" under the activity.