Heart Foundation - Heart Foundation- Walk Organiser
Health and Wellbeing– Walk Organiser
Position Title: Heart Foundation Walk Organiser
Section/Unit: Chester Hill Neighbourhood Centre
Direct Supervision: Local Coordinator Based at Chester Hill Neighbourhood Centre
Research shows that being regularly active throughout life is one of the most effective ways to improve and protect your heart health. Walking in a group has even more benefits, it helps you stay motivated, meet new friends and feel connected in your local community. Evidence suggests that good social support can help safeguard against heart disease and stroke. The Volunteer Walk Organiser plays a key part in the success of Heart Foundation Waling, they are the glue that holds their walking group together. Walking is the number one activity most Australian adults do on a regular basis – it is free, suits people of all ages and fitness levels and doesn’t require any special equipment or physical training.
As a walk organiser you will receive training, support and a thank you gift from the Heart Foundation upon registration. The volunteer Walk Organiser position’s purpose is to contribute to the Heart Foundation’s active living goal that “more Australians will be more active, more often, through walking” by leading a walking group with the Heart Foundation Walking Program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Together with the Local Coordinator at CHNC you will assist in the following:
- Plan the walking routes
- Gather together a group
- Register new walkers online or assisting them in completing a Walker registration form.
- Be a positive role model for your group and encourage group and personal goals to enable your group participants to lead more active, healthier lives.
- Be punctual for walks
- Dress appropriately for the walks
- Encourage safety when walking at all times.
- Keep attendance records to ensure that Walkers are acknowledged through the Heart Foundation’s Walker Recognition Scheme.
QUALIFICATIONS/ SKILLS/ ATTRIBUTES REQUIRED:
- An interest in health and wellbeing
- Motivation to assist the local coordinator in setting up and maintaining the Heart Foundation Walking Group
- Able to participate in the 1 our online training
- Suitable clothes and footwear
- Time to commit weekly to provide support to the walking group
- Commitment to participate in training, development and support meetings.
We promote diversity and practice equity. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply.
This position is subject to the Heart Foundation’s and Chester Hill Neighbourhood centre’s Code of Conduct
Start Date: This is an ongoing, open position.