Carers NSW Australia - Volunteer Driver Mentors Wanted
Carers NSW Australia – Volunteer Driver Mentors Wanted
Position Title: Volunteer Driver Mentor
Section/Unit: Carers NSW Australia (Canterbury-Hurlstone Park Area)
Direct Supervision: Relevant Team Leader/Supervisor (on site)
Getting a driver licence opens up many opportunities for young people to become more independent and gain greater access to the workforce and education. It can also help connect young people with their friends and family, and minimise their risk of feeling isolated.
However, for some young carers this is difficult to achieve. In NSW a person under 25 years old has to complete 120 hours of supervised driving to enable them to get their P1 licence. This is a real barrier as many young carers may not have access to a car or an adult in their life who can provide the required supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise a young learner driver to assist them in completing their compulsory driving hours.
QUALIFICATIONS/ SKILLS/ ATTRIBUTES REQUIRED:
- Over 25 years of age
- Willingness to help a young person gain their licence
- Hold an unrestricted NSW driver licence for the past 2 years, with a clean driving record
- Ability to spare 1-2 hours per week to supervise in the Canterbury Hurlstone Park area.
- Willing to undertake a driver record check
- Experience in driving or experience teaching someone to drive previously
- Experience working with young people in a mentoring capacity is advantageous
- A Police Check
- A Working with Children Check
- Commitment to participate in training, development and support meetings.
We promote diversity and practice equity. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply.
Start Date: This is an ongoing, open position.