Little Wings - Little Wings Driver
Little Wings – Little Wings Driver
Position Title: Little Wings Driver
Section/Unit: Little Wings children’s charity, Bankstown
Little Wings is a children’s charity based in Bankstown. Our mission is to keep families together by providing free, safe, professional and high-quality flight and hospital transfer service for seriously ill children from rural and regional NSW to access specialised medical services at The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney Children’s Hospital at Randwick and the John Hunter Children’s Hospital Newcastle.
Our Flight Program and ground transport services reduce the financial burden, emotional strain and travel fatigue for these children, their families and carers during treatment.
As a Little Wings volunteer, you will be a highly valuable team player and will be provided with full training and support. You will be part of a small, dedicated and passionate team and will see first-hand the difference that the Little Wings service makes to the families’ lives.
Little Wings is also committed to creating a safe, rewarding and fun environment for all our volunteers. We also recognise and celebrate our volunteers’ contributions and achievements and provide opportunities to meet and socialise with other volunteers.
About the Role:
As a Little Wings Volunteer Driver, you will be helping us provide these vital services, particularly if you are keen to give something back to the community. Our Volunteer Drivers work closely with our Flight Operations team and are dedicated to ensuring the safe, reliable and efficient transportation of families between Blacktown Airport and the Children’s Hospitals at Westmead and Randwick. This is an essential and valued part of the Little Wings service providing families with a complete transport solution.
To conduct the drives, we provide our volunteer drivers with an 8-seater Hyundai van to transport these families which is based at Bankstown Airport.
The role is flexible, so it can fit in with your other commitments. Our volunteer drivers work on a roster basis, conducting 1 -3 driver per week. Drives usually take between 2 -3 hours round trip (including allowances for traffic and loading) and takes place 7 days a week between the hours of 9am-5pm.
All Little Wings volunteers must be prepared to attend mandatory Volunteer Induction and training and must have a current police check and Working with Children Check.
- Flexible and available to work on a roster basis
- A current and valid Australian Drivers licence (note this must be a full licence, not a learner or provisional divers licence)
- Excellent driving skills with an exemplary driving record
- Minimum 5 years driving experience
- A current police check and Working with Children Check
- Ability and confidence to drive an 8-seater van
- Be an active team player supporting the team and attending to responsibilities in a timely manner
- Understanding of Little Wings’ mission and values
- Understand and comply with Little Wings’ Code of Conduct for Child Protection in the Workplace
Skills and Attributes:
- Responsible, reliable and have strong interpersonal skills
- Sensitive to patient and family situations and needs
- Tactful and discreet, especially when dealing with sensitive and confidential information
- High level of professional integrity and honesty
- Maintain a professional appearance
- Be polite and courteous
- Excellent communication skills
- Ideally located within the Bankstown, Westmead or surrounding areas for convenience.
All volunteers and employees have a responsibility to act in accordance with the Code of Conduct, and to:
- Create, maintain and foster a safe work environment at all times
- Treat people with respect, work with integrity and ethically
- Not take unfair advantage of any professional relationship or exploit others to further personal or financial interests.
- Maintain professional relationships with others, be objective and keep personal information without disclosing it to a third party.
- Ensure compliance with the provision of the Work Health and Safety Act and Regulations at all times, by reporting all hazards or incidents that can cause harm or that represent a threat to safety.
- Perform all duties in a manner that ensures personal health and safety, and that of others in the workplace and the general public.
- To undertake all tasks in accordance with Little Wings’ Values and Mission, Code of Conduct and Ethics and policies and procedures.
- Be aware of and adhere to Child Protection legislation
- Ensure that services are culturally sensitive, non-prejudicial and aim to fulfil the needs of client as far as possible
- Maintain the confidentiality of privileged information gained in the course of volunteering
We promote diversity and practice equity. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply.
Start Date: This is an ongoing, open position.