Simple Steps - Walking Group Leader - Countywide
We all know that getting out and active in our community is more fun with friends! That’s why the Dakota County Public Health Department is supporting residents interested in starting a walking group in their community (must live within Dakota County). Share your energy and enthusiasm for getting outdoors and connecting with others and we’ll give you the materials and support to successfully lead walking group meet-ups!
Dakota County Public Health Department will:
- Provide you with a 1-hour walking group leader orientation training
- Identify walking group locations in the city in which you live
- Finalize walking dates, times and distances with your input
- Create marketing materials and help promote walking groups
Still not sure if it’s the right fit for you? Watch this brief walking group clip and get inspired:
Locations throughout Dakota County
There is flexibility on walking day/time; we’re interested to learn what your availability looks like to lead a group. Walking groups may start at any time, ideally Spring 2018.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Promote the walking group through flyers and word of mouth
- Lead walks on a regular basis (walking duration/distance may vary by walking group, but will likely be 20-30 minutes in duration)
- Sign in walkers at each meet up
- Assist in maintaining a cohesive, motivated walking group
- Interest in promoting, organizing and leading a walking group.
- Able to communicate effectively and effectively engage with diverse community members
- Able to walk up to 30 minutes at one time
- 18 years old or older
Active - Involves physical exertion for an extended period of time; can involve rough, uneven or steep terrain. Not recommended for volunteers with physical limitations.
You will receive a 1-hour orientation on leading a walking group which will include:
1.) Keys to success; what’s worked well for others to keep a group engaged;
2.) Details on local walking routes;
3.) Safety considerations;
4.) Walking group communication and check-in;
4.) Basic wellness information applicable to walking
Health Promotion Specialist
Dakota County Public Health Department
- Accepted Data Privacy Notice - Tennessen Notice Must be Yes
- Signed Volunteer Waiver Must be at least Yes