Minnesota River Greenway - 9.18: International Coastal Cleanup Day
The International Coastal Cleanup Day began more than 30 years ago, when communities rallied together with the common goal of collecting and documenting the trash littering their coastline. Volunteers from states and territories throughout the U.S. and more than 100 countries come together each year and participate in an event near them.
Although not near an ocean, Minnesota has over 90,000 miles of shoreline; more than California, Florida and Hawaii combined. We are also home to the headwaters of the mighty Mississippi River which flows south all the way into the Gulf of Mexico. The Minnesota River is an important tributary that flows into the Mississippi which will eventually make its way to the Gulf. Sadly, garbage and pollution can use our local river systems to travel through our state southward. If we can stop trash here at home, we can help prevent it from reaching the world’s oceans, helping our partners who will be working to clean up beaches 1,200 miles away.
Location and Site Details
Minnesota River Greenway and Boatlaunch/MN - 77 Bridge
3711 Nicols Road
Burnsville, MN 55337
This event will be outdoors with no access to bathroom facilities. Please plan accordingly.
10:00 a.m. – Noon
Duties & Responsibilities
- Help pick up trash along the banks of the Minnesota River
- All ages welcome, there will be flat and paved terrain available to walk
- Supplies including trash bags, gloves, and hand sanitizer will be provided
- If you would like to volunteer as a group (families not included), please contact our Volunteer Coordinator before registering
Minimum Time Commitment
1.5 - 2 hours
Active - Involves physical exertion for an extended period of time; can involve rough, uneven or steep terrain. Not recommended for volunteers with physical limitations.
Garrett Zaffke | Community Relations and Volunteer Services Coordinator
Dakota County Communications
1590 Highway 55| Hastings, MN 55033
Direct: (651) 438-4635 | Fax: (651) 438-4405 | Email: email@example.com
- Accepted Data Privacy Notice - Tennessen Notice Must be Yes
- Signed Volunteer Waiver Must be at least Yes