Adopt a Highway Program - Adopt a Highway Program
The Adopt-a-Highway Program looks for volunteers to collect litter along designated segments of County highways to help keep roadsides clean. Coordination of the program and supplies (safety vests, trash bags and training) are provided by the Dakota County Transportation Department.
Interested? Check to see what areas are available on the Adopt-a-Highway map. Click on the highway sections to see if they are available for adoption. For more information about the program, review the Adopt-a-Highway Brochure and Safety Tips.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Individuals or groups commit to cleaning up their designated roadway segment as a one-time event or a 2-3 yearly pickup commitment (sign included)
- Transportation Department maintenance crews will pick up and dispose of filled bags and other debris, left at the side of the road
- Group sizes can vary per cleanup
- Adults need to accompany anyone under 17 years old or younger
- Groups are expected to keep up on their commitments or signs will removed by county staff
- Group leaders are expected to log onto the county volunteer website to record group numbers, hours, and location of trash bags
Minimum Time Commitment
Easy - May include light work or walking short distances over relatively level terrain. Comfortable shoes recommended.
To apply, fill out a volunteer application and we will review the section of road desired to make sure it is open for adoption. Once your application is approved, your group is ready to begin.
Free Recognition Signs
Individuals or groups agreeing to contribute time to clean up the roadway twice a year (spring & fall) for a minimum of two years, will receive a 24” by 30” recognition signs, installed free for their contribution. One recognition sign* is placed for a minimum one mile commitment. Two signs* are placed for a minimum two miles or more commitment.
*County will provide signage with the volunteer group's name only. Depending on the group name, modifications may need to be made to fit lettering limitations. Messages or other advertising will not be allowed on the sign.
Garrett Zaffke | Community Relations and Volunteer Services Coordinator
Dakota County Communications
1590 Highway 55| Hastings, MN 55033
Direct: (651) 438-4635 | Fax: (651) 438-4405 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Accepted Data Privacy Notice - Tennessen Notice Must be Yes
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday - All Day
- Tuesday - All Day
- Wednesday - All Day
- Thursday - All Day
- Friday - All Day
- Saturday - All Day
- Sunday - All Day