Adopt a Highway Program - Adopt a Highway Program
The Adopt-a-Highway program looks for volunteers to collect litter along designated segments of County highways to help keep roadsides clean. Coordination of the program and supplies (safety vests, trash bags and training) are provided by Dakota County Transportation staff.
Interested? Check to see what areas are available on the Adopt-a-Highway map. Click on the highway sections to see if they are available for adoption. For more information about the program, review the Adopt-a-Highway Brochure and Safety Tips.
- Keeps our local roadsides beautiful and free of litter
- Helps remove harmful pollutants and substances
- Prevents litter from obstructing vehicle and pedestrian traffic
- Great public service project for groups and families
- Saves taxpayers money each year
- Community recognition for you group/family
Duties & Responsibilities
- Choose a representative for your group. The representative will sign an agreement on behalf of the group.
- Group representatives will keep track of group attendance, hours performed, and # of bags left at the side of the road for pickup.
- Individuals or groups commit to cleaning up their designated roadway segment two to three times a year.
- All participants in the group must review the safety information provided by Dakota County Transportation.
- Group sizes can vary per cleanup.
- Adults need to accompany anyone 17 years old or younger.
- Groups are expected to keep up with their commitments or section will be forfeited and signs will removed by county staff.
- Group leaders are expected to log onto the county volunteer website to record group numbers, hours, and location of trash bags.
Minimum Time Commitment
1 - 3 hours per cleanup, 2-3 times a year
Easy - May include light work or walking short distances over relatively level terrain. Comfortable shoes recommended.
To apply, fill out a volunteer application and we will review the section of road desired to make sure it is open for adoption. Once your application is approved, your group is ready to pick up supplies and begin.
Free Recognition Signs
Individuals or groups agreeing to contribute time to clean up the roadway twice a year (spring & fall) for a minimum of two years, will receive a 24” by 30” recognition signs, installed free for their contribution. One recognition sign* is placed for a minimum one-mile commitment. Two recognition signs* are placed for a minimum two miles or more commitment.
*County will provide signage with the volunteer group's name only. Depending on the group name, modifications may need to be made to fit lettering limitations. Messages (political, religious, social, etc.) or other advertising will not be allowed on the sign.
Garrett Zaffke | Community Relations and Volunteer Services Coordinator
Dakota County Communications
1590 Highway 55| Hastings, MN 55033
Direct: (651) 438-4635 | Fax: (651) 438-4405 | Email: email@example.com
- Accepted Data Privacy Notice - Tennessen Notice Must be Yes
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday - All Day
- Tuesday - All Day
- Wednesday - All Day
- Thursday - All Day
- Friday - All Day
- Saturday - All Day
- Sunday - All Day