Lebanon Hills Regional Park - 5.11: Garlic Mustard Challenge Training - LHRP
Help us bust invasive species in our parks. Garlic Mustard is an invasive species brought over from Europe that outcompetes our native wildflowers and tree seedlings that various native species rely on for food and shelter. It's a biennial which means it completes its life cycle in 2 years. Volunteers pull the second year plants prior to or during flowering. The flowering plants must be bagged up and disposed of, as the plants can still produce seed even after being pulled!
Following a brief training, you'll work alongside Dakota County staff and other volunteers to hone your skills and prepare for the Garlic Mustard Challenge. Following this training, you're encouraged to take the Garlic Mustard Challenge - commit to spending an additional 6 hours pulling Garlic Mustard in one of our three local parks*. Fun prizes await those who complete the challenge.
Lebanon Hills Regional Park
Eagan, MN 55124
*Meeting and Parking Locations TBD before event
April 30, May 2: 6:00 – 8:00 PM
May 11: 9:00 – 11:00 AM
*Three locations will be hosting Garlic Mustard Challenges – Two more locations will be Lake Bysllesby Regional Park near Cannon Falls and Spring Lake Park Reserve near Hastings. Feel free to join more than one group to expand your hours and increase our restoration efforts.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Learn how to safely and effectively remove this invasive species
- Work with a team to remove Garlic Mustard from predetermined sections of the park
- Remove pulled plants safely from the work sites
- Able to attend the full event
- Must be able to walk on uneven terrain and stand for extended periods of time
- Must be OK with getting a little dirty and being outside in nature
- Fun for the whole family and all age groups.
- If you would like to volunteer as a group (families not included), please contact our Volunteer Coordinator before registering.
Minimum Time Commitment
Easy - May include light work or walking short distances over relatively level terrain. Comfortable shoes recommended.
Training will be offered at the start of this event.
Garrett Zaffke | Community Relations and Volunteer Services Coordinator
Dakota County Communications
1590 Highway 55| Hastings, MN 55033
Direct: (651) 438-4635 | Fax: (651) 438-4405 | Email: email@example.com
- Accepted Data Privacy Notice - Tennessen Notice Must be Yes
- Signed Volunteer Waiver Must be at least Yes