County-Wide Natural Resources - 4.1 - 10.31: Raingarden Stewards
Green thumbs wanted! Raingarden Stewards are volunteer groups or individuals who care for raingardens throughout Dakota County by planting, weeding, mulching and providing general raingarden maintenance. General guidance, supplies, and support will be provided by Dakota County Natural Resources staff. If you love being outside and anything to do with gardening, this is the right project for you.
Various locations in Dakota County are available. Volunteers will adopt a specific raingarden and tend the same raingarden throughout the season.
Training Date and Location
5:00 - 7:30 pm
Lebanon Hills Regional Park – Discovery Room
860 Cliff Road
Eagan, MN 55123
Raingarden Stewards must be able to commit to a growing season (April – October) at their selected site. Volunteers can choose their own schedule within park hours. Typically 4-8 hours per month will be sufficient.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Remove weeds, litter and plant debris
- Plant flowers and shrubs when available
- Mulch when needed
- Report any damage or vandalism to Natural Resources staff
- Physically mobile and able to do manual work—light to moderate difficulty
- Some experience in gardening preferred
- Ability to work independently without supervision
- Enthusiasm for the outdoors and conservation
- Interest in learning about natural resource management, including plant identification, planting and invasive species removal techniques
- Volunteer must be 18 years or older or have permission from guardian
Minimum Time Commitment
7 month growing season commitment, April – October, times will vary by volunteer and garden site.
Medium - May involve varying amounts of activity (long walks, rough terrain, and moderate physical exertion. May not be recommended for volunteers with physical limitations. Comfortable, sturdy shoes recommended.
Garrett Zaffke | Community Relations and Volunteer Services Coordinator
Dakota County Communications
1590 Highway 55| Hastings, MN 55033
Direct: (651) 438-4635 | Fax: (651) 438-4405 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Accepted Data Privacy Notice - Tennessen Notice Must be Yes
- Signed Volunteer Waiver Must be at least Yes