Dakota County Veterans Services - Veteran Peer Mentor Volunteer
The Veteran Peer Mentor Volunteer serves as a mentor to veterans who are participating in the Carver-Dakota Veterans Treatment Court. The Veterans Treatment Court is a treatment/recovery court that provides a treatment option to veterans who are engaged in the justice system in lieu of serving time in jail. Veterans Treatment Court participants must complete a rigorous year-long treatment program with the commitment to fully participate in a court-ordered treatment program. The mentor will advocate, guide, and provide peer support to the veteran as they are participating to ensure that they receive the support and services needed to be successful.
Currently remote via Zoom (in-person meetings occurring within Dakota County will be planned once Covid-19 subsides).
Flexible. Volunteers set their own schedule with Veteran Mentee.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Act as a coach, guide, role model, advocate, and a source of support for the veteran participant with whom the mentor is working with through the court system.
- Assist the veteran participant in setting personal goals and help connect them with community resources that will help the participant in their treatment, recovery, and readjustment efforts.
- Establish and maintain frequent communication with assigned veteran participant to provide on-going support and encouragement.
- Maintain appropriate boundaries and help the veteran participant to do the same.
- Be a willing and active listener.
- Attend scheduled court hearings when possible with assigned veteran participant.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have served in the United States Military
- Not currently engaged in the criminal justice system
- Complete a background check with Dakota County
- Must have a passion to support and serve fellow veterans in need
Minimum Time Commitment
4 hours per month
Mild - May include walking short distances over relatively level terrain. Periods of standing or sitting will be required. Comfortable shoes recommended.
Required Training: Veteran Peer Mentor Volunteers will participate in a free two-hour training program offered remotely via Zoom. Volunteers will also meet on a quarterly basis for one hour to connect with other volunteers and review work.
Dakota County Veterans Services
1 Mendota Rd W, Suite 420, WSP, MN 55118
- Background Check Must be Completed: Cleared
- Signed Volunteer Waiver Must be at least Yes