Galaxie Library, Apple Valley - Galaxie Library: Homework Help Volunteers - Apple Valley
Homework Help Volunteers is a great program for students to get the extra help they need to succeed in school and you can help! Volunteers work one-on-one with students in grades K-12, assisting with homework assignments in any subject. Workshops are open-house style and allow students to come in at a designated time and place to receive assistance with their homework.
14955 Galaxie Ave
Apple Valley, MN 55124
Volunteer training - September
Program season: September 19, 2022 – May 23, 2023
Duties & Responsibilities
- Mentor students with questions about their homework assignments in any subject.
- Connect them with library staff when library resources are needed.
- Build healthy relationships and trust with students who visit the library.
- Communicate with parents or caregivers when asked about student’s activities.
- Must be 16 years or older.
- Must satisfactorily complete an interview and background check required for ages 18+
- Must provide own transportation to and from the library.
- Comfort interacting with students of all ages and from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience working with English Language Learners is an asset.
- Patience, flexibility, and willingness to use creative methods to help students learn.
- Strong English and writing skills
- Comfort with mathematics up to the 8th grade level.
Minimum Time Commitment
Volunteers will be expected to volunteer 2 hours per week during the school year and commit to a minimum of 6 months.
Volunteers will receive basic tutor training at the beginning of their service, including a library orientation and overview of resources available to students.
Accessibility: This activity accommodates all ages and abilities. Seating is available for those who will need it. Building and event space is accessibility friendly. Click here for more information on accessibility services.
Adult Services Manager
Dakota County Library
1340 Wescott Rd, Eagan, MN 55123
- Accepted Data Privacy Notice - Tennessen Notice Must be Yes
- Background Check Must be Completed: Cleared
- Signed Volunteer Waiver Must be at least Yes